Eduardo Zamudio is production manager of sauce and cheese operations at Pierino Frozen Foods. Zamudio is responsible for ensuring the company’s sauce and cheese operation runs smoothly on a daily basis by keeping interruption in production to a minimum through proper planning, personnel training and development, and process improvements. He is responsible for planning the production schedule on a daily basis for sauce and cheese departments and for raw materials inventory control in sauce and cheese departments.
Zamudio’s current role is to manage the operation of a growing company. He has over six years of experience as a supervisor in a beef jerky company responsible for the preparation of over 100,000 pounds of beef jerky weekly and one year experience as a plant manager in a dog treats company responsible for the processing and packaging of over 10,000 pounds of dog treats weekly.
Zamudio shares his top five recommendations for handling food safely in the food manufacturing business:
- Manage safety policies and procedures. Safety is key. Policies and procedures need to be in place and followed strictly so there is consistency in the workplace.
- Supervise the handling. It is very important to make sure there are individuals who can supervise and oversee the handling of the food products. If there are any inconsistencies with the food handling process, a supervisor can quickly help to correct the situation so there is minimal disruption in the manufacturing process.
- Provide training to new employees. Training is imperative to new employee success. The initial time investment of training in food handling and safety procedures will pay off in the long run. It is financially more productive to invest the time and money in training upfront rather than trying to fix a problem later.
- Provide training programs. Training should not end with new employees. Training should be given on a consistent and continual basis. There is always new information to learn, and the constant reinforcement of current policy and procedures helps the information to stay at the top of employees’ minds.
- Provide personal protective equipment. Each employee needs to be protected properly, not only for food handling purposes, but also to keep the employees safe.
This article was written by Michelle Guilbeau of Examiner.com for CBS Small Business Pulse.